Common issues in community beautification projects
- Lack of growth in community cleanup campaign participants due to population decline and other factors.
- A declining and aging population coupled with lack of participation from younger generations.
- Difficulty in providing support to and staying informed of cleanup activities voluntarily engaged by private companies and citizen groups.
- Difficulty in measuring the results of cleanup campaigns and to translate them into monetary values.
- Difficulty in organizing community beautification projects due to COVID-19.
In the course of conducting community beautification projects and exchanging ideas with prefectural and municipal governments around the country to solve the littering problem, we came to notice that many local government officials were facing these common issues.
This led to our development of “ Pirika for Governments ”.
"Pirika for Local Governments" contributes to revitalizing local communities and drawing more participants to cleanup campaigns, thus improving the efficiency of beautification projects, by utilizing the Pirika social media platform to conveniently gather and share information on local cleanup activities and their results as well as allow local residents to signal and report littering and trash that cannot be handled individually, all on a single page.